Deeders Blog

Welcome to my mind.

Friday, February 16, 2007

Catching Up

Wow, I can't beleive it has been several months since I have posted my thoughts. Let's see...since my last post, the boys all started school. Dustin is a senior in high school this year! I can't beleive it! Graduation only 4 months away. Then hopefully, off to college. That is, if he gets accepted. That's a whole 'nother blog. Hmm..what else.....Oh, well I had to quit school. I was taking prerequisites to try and possibly get into the nursing program and get my RN degree. Well, turns out that you have tons of math classes to take and math not being my forte to any extent of the word, I couldn't do it. Pisses me off too because when I was 21 I went to school to become a Medical Assistant. I worked as an MA for years with different doctors. I have done just about everything an RN has done, even so far as assisting in minor surgeries. I know patient care like the back of my hand and what is even more frustrating to me, is that there is a shortage of RNs in this country. The local hospital near me, probably has 40 listings for needed RNs. So...here I am...wanting to just get that degree.. and MATH kept me from my dream. It's a shame really. And math was not the only prerequisite needed. I was taking many other classes as well, but those I did well in. I know once I actually got into the nursing program, I would have done fine. Ahh, well, I guess it just wasn't meant to be. So for now...still at home and doing medical transcription part time.
I think all that happened in September. October came around and of course Halloween...our friend's annual Halloween party. This year's theme was to come dressed as a rock star. I couldn't decide who to "be". I mean, come on....I'm a fat woman in her early 40's....it isn't like I could dress like Britney Spears. I thought about going as Madonna, but I don't think the pointed bra was going to be very flattering on me. Soooo I ended up going as Janice Joplin. Fairly easy to do...I have long blonde hair so I just dressed basically like a hippee with alot of jewelry on and those funky glasses. It worked. As for Sandy....well..he went dressed like Frank Zappa, but I think others would argue that point and say he looked more like Ozzie Ozborn. The kids did their usual trick-or-treating.
Then the holidays came around and passed so quickly, like they always do. Spent way too much money, as usual, and ate too much food, as usual. And before you know it...here comes February. OH...but not before our wild, whacky weather here in Seattle. Jeeez...in the 19 years I have lived up here, this was the wildest winter ever. We had floods (not exactly near me, thank god). and winds (yes, THOSE were near me....near enough to knock out power for 4 days) It was a nightmare. Luckily, our hot water was on gas so we at least could shower and wash dishes. But nothing else worked. Sandy has a big grill out on the patio and it has a gas burner attached so we basically lived off meat the whole 4 days. we had to BBQ just about everything in the freezer before it went bad. By the end of those 4 days, I was feeling much like a caveman..living off all that meat. At least we could heat up water and have coffee every morning. Also it was freezing outside and we had no heat and were stuck inside with the 4 boys...woo hoo! At night, we just lit a million candles, sat around in the family room all huddled under blankets and played board games. It actually was kind of nice spending time with the boys and playing games. I even think they were a little disappointed when the power came back on. Needless to say, I didn't have any BBQ'd meat for awhile. So then comes the snow storm. At least we had power! but all these weird weather days kept the boys out of school so they now have all these days to make up. School now won't be out until June 22nd. Any more days off and they will be celebrating the 4th of July at school!
And now, here we are; February 16th. Valentine's Day was nice. I got roses and chocolate. What more could a girl want? And Sandy, once being a chef back in the day, made me an awesome dinner. Steak with bernaise sauce, garlic scampi shrimp, sauteed broccoli, baked potato, wine....ahh. And you wonder why I am fat! We keep telling ourselves that we must lose weight. I know, I know...but so much easier said than done. We discussed both of us going on Nutri-system. You know...off the web so that we don't have to drive some place and weigh in. I've actually lost weight on Jenny Craig so I know those plans work. But I like the thought of having my food delivered and not having to talk to a food counselor about why I cheated that week and what was I feeling when I cheated. Well..I was feeling HUNGRY and THAT is why I cheated. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. So...I think here soon, we will try the Nutri-System route. So easy, even a caveman can do it. Oh no, wait, cavemen eat all the meat. Hmmm.....BBQ sounds good right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home