Deeders Blog

Welcome to my mind.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Children and sports

Two of my sons, Cameron and Kenny, just finished playing in their community league basketball teams. It was enjoyable to go to Kenny's games, as he is 14 and the kids are a bit more mature than the younger-aged teams. Plus his games were a bit more competitive since they were older kids. But going to Cameron's games were hard this year. Not because they are boring but because the majority of the kids on the team were what I refer to as "Little shits". (I refer to them in private, obviously, not directly to them or to Cameron). Cameron is one of those type of kids who likes everyone, sees the good in everyone, and is a bit in the dark when it comes to kids that bully or tease. He loves playing basketball. I wouldn't say he is the best player on the team, but I wouldn't say he sucked at it either. He is great at defense and remembering plays and screens etc, but he doesn't get every basket he shoots for and he isn't real aggressive when trying to steal a ball away or run down the court while dribbling. BUT these are only 11 year old kids and so it isn't like the team had tiny Michael Jordans out there playing. All the kids play about as good as the other.They all made mistakes. BUT you wouldn't know it from listening to these kids! What little shits! It was a constant, "Cameron!" that I would hear from the bench. and these boys go to school with Cameron so at school they would tell him, "Cameron you suck. Cameron you need to be more aggressive. Cameron your sneakers aren't the right kind. Cameron I can't beleive you missed that basket" Cameron would come home from school and tell me of the things these "perfect" boys would say to him. It got to where at the games, I would sit across from the bench and literally glare at the mean kid who I heard say something. They saw me...they knew. One kid even told Cameron, "your mom is always staring at me and it makes me uncomfortable". but it worked. This particular kid stopped yelling at Cameron and finally was giving him tips on how to play better.
The coaches also were frustrating because they would sit there and let these kids taunt and tease, not only Cameron, but whoever was out on the court playing and making mistakes. so about a week ago, one of the coaches stood up and yelled, "Thats enough!" he said to them that he and the assistant coach would be the only ones telling the kids what to do, that if they wanted to say things, then only cheer for their team. But every once in awhile I still could hear the little shits over there. But I think the worst of them all was the coach's son. OH BOY. What a kid! I started referring to him as Mr. Drama because every time he missed a basket or got the ball taken from him or got a foul called, he would cry, slap his own head, stomp his feet, throw his water bottle down etc. He was the WORST poor sport I have ever seen at this age. I think if I witnessed any one of my boys handling situations like that, I would tell them, "until you can stop crying and handle the situation better, you will NOT play". It was rediculous. AND he was one of the worst kids that teased Cameron. I would watch as the coach (his dad) would put his arm around him and console him every time the kid threw a fit. NO WAY. So it taught this kid that he would get attention if he acted like a spoiled baby. It was pathetic to watch. By the time the season was over (last weekend) I was never so happy. Those of you who know me, know that it is hard to keep my mouth shut and I was just about to open it to all those little shits, their parents AND the coach. But I held my tongue for Cameron's sake. Now, though, this Saturday is the team's end-of-season dinner and trophy presentation. I really don't want to go, but again, going for Cameron's sake. But I don't think I will clap for any of them when they get their trophys. It is my way of quietly saying, "take THAT you little shits".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home